Thursday, January 26, 2012

Apple cinnamon hemp seed butter...


I did a little experiment the other day and came up with a super easy and delicious sweeter version of the savory pâtés.  One of my favorite things is almond butter with apple slices, and I wanted to see about making a hemp seed butter I can eat with fruit to satisfy my taste for slightly sweeter things.  This is a terrific variation for breakfasts or afternoon snacks that is lighter and easier to digest than almond butter, higher in protein, and maybe even tastier.  It goes great with the cinnamon ginger flax crackers I made a few days ago.  It is also great with my personal favorite, honeycrisp apple slices, for a nutritious, delicious, and optimal macronutrient balanced pre- or post-workout fuel.  It'd even be great for dessert with some fresh mixed berries.   

The measurements below make a good sized batch and could easily be cut in half if you want to make a smaller amount.  It has instantly become my new favorite go-to snack, so I made a big batch to have around for quick & easy yumminess. 

Apple cinnamon hemp seed butter
3 cups hemp seeds
1 apple (I used a medium sized organic honeycrisp)
2 T flax seed oil 
2 T lemon juice
1 T cinnamon
~1/2 T vanilla extract
a pinch of sea salt
1 dropper full liquid stevia* (I used vanilla creme flavor)

In a food processor with s-blade, process apple until roughly chopped.  Add everything else except hemp seeds and pulse a few times.  Add the hemp seeds and process until smooth.  It should be a thick, creamy consistency.  Refrigerate up to a week in the frig.  Serve with apple slices, or smeared on cinnamon ginger flax crackers with fresh blueberries and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.

*You could also use agave or medjool dates to sweeten, or skip the sweetener altogether.  You may notice that I use dates and agave very sparingly, usually saving them for where they count - in desserts, or as instant simple carb fuel right before a workout or during a long run or hike when I need easily converted energy.  I also tend to stay away from the higher glycemic fruits and veggies like bananas, mangoes, beets, potatoes, etc.  I much prefer berries, apples, grapefruits, and a whole rainbow of yummy veggies that provide a sustainable, consistent level of energy.  I recommend reading Dr. Gabriel Cousens' research on how the body processes the natural sugars in food and the imbalances and dis-ease excess sugar can create over the long term.  (See his books Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine and Conscious Eating).  Very enlightening.


Bon appétit, mon ami!

No comments:

Post a Comment