Monday, July 18, 2011

My favorite things...

I get asked a lot by people who are just starting to incorporate more raw foods into their diet what my favorite must have things are.  Here is a list to get you started on the right track.

Vega products, specifically the Whole Food Optimizer and Performance Protein powder.  These are not technically 100% raw, but they are mostly raw and totally vegan.  They are high quality products designed by vegan Ironman triathlete Brendan Brazier and can be used as meal replacement while on the go.  I rely heavily on Vega while I'm traveling.  I take a shaker jar with me so I can make a smoothie on the go instead of compromising the way I eat.  I also highly recommend Brendan's books, Thrive Nutrition and Thrive Fitness.

I love Navitas Naturals superfood products.  I use their raw cacao, maca, and lucuma on a regular basis.  I love chocolate and eat it almost daily.  I whip up a super easy, healthy, and delicious chocolate with just a few basic ingredients.  Cacao, maca, a few drops of liquid stevia, a pinch of sea salt, and enough coconut oil to bind the powders.  When I'm feeling more extravagant, I'll add spirulina, bee pollen, and sometimes some kind of nut or cacoa nibs for the crunchy texture.  I love to sprinkle with cinnamon as well.

I also love Healthforce Nutritional products, especially Vitamineral Green.  I add it to my Vega smoothies, especially after a workout to help with recovery.   I also regularly use Radical Health's superfood mixes, Fiesta Mole and Chocolate Bliss, and also their super high quality Sunfire salt.  The family that makes those products lives right down the street from me, so I just stop by and pick up my order, but for those who aren't in Austin, you can order from their site which is also a great source of info on raw foods.

Some of my daily staples are apples, almond butter (I sprinkle with sea salt and cinnamon, and sometimes add vanilla extract), kale, avocados, tomatoes, peppers, flax crackers, green juices, and an array of other seasonally available organic fruits and veggies.  

I've found that I recover much more quickly from my rigorous workouts by eating raw foods.  With just a little creativity and resourcefulness, I don't have to compromise flavor or texture by eating raw.  In fact, everything tastes so much MORE flavorful because it's all fresh and alive.  You don't have to go 100% raw to reap the benefits.  Increase your raw food intake over time, and you'll notice you develop a taste and preference for it quite naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment